The menopause usually happens between the ages of 45-55 years.
Changes that occur during the menopause
- Increase in blood pressure
- Increase in cholesterol levels
- Weakening of the bones
Caused due to falling oestrogen levels
- Weight gain
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats
- Poor concentration
- More frequent headaches
- Joint pain
- Irregular or heavy periods
What can you do?
- Ensure you are taking 1200mg calcium per day
- Take vitamin D 10ug from autumn to winter or over 65 years take 10ug all year round
- Maintain a healthy weight, if you are overweight, try to lose 5-10% of your initial weight
- Cut down on saturated fat and total fat intake
Do flaxseed supplements alleviate or reduce menopausal symptoms?
Some studies found that taking 25-40g flaxseeds daily improved symptoms but more studies are needed.
Do soy products reduce symptoms?
Some studies observed improvement in frequency and severity of hot flushes with intakes of 50-150mg of soy isoflavone per day but finding not consistent across the literature research.
To find out more about how I can help you overcome your symptoms, book a FREE 15-minute telephone appointment with me https://www.cambridgedietitian.co.uk/contact/