Low FODMAP Italian Meatballs
These Low FODMAP Italian meatballs make a tasty supper dish. Serve with either wheat-free pasta or rice and low FODMAP salad or vegetables.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Category: Mains
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 400g x 2 tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 400g mince (5% fat)
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large slice of wheat-free bread (crusts removed)
- 25ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. wheat-free flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Start by making the tomato sauce. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the asafoetida powder and fry over a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients, partially cover the pan, and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a stick blender to puree to a smooth sauce.
- To make the meatballs, soak the bread in the milk for a few minutes, then squeeze out any excess milk.
- Add the bread mixture, mince, lemon zest, parsley, egg and seasoning to a large bowl and mix together using your hands until it is thoroughly combined.
- Roll into small balls, about the size of a walnut, then roll the balls lightly in flour.
- Brush a non-stick frying pan with a little oil and fry the meatballs. It is best to do this in a couple of batches. Be careful when you turn the meatballs so they don’t fall apart. I find it easiest to use 2 wooden spoons to turn the meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Serve with wheat-free spaghetti or rice and a low FODMAP salad/vegetables.
If you like spicy food and it doesn’t aggravate your IBS symptoms, you can add some chilli flakes when serving.
The meatballs and sauce freeze well so you can double the recipe and freeze a batch.
- Calories: 256Kcals
- Sugar: 9.2
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 27g